For the foreseeable future (since April 2020), we will be holding virtual meetings via Zoom. Links are attached to Call to Meeting posts.
Our meetings are scheduled for the third Monday of each month beginning at 7:00pm, except for April and September which were moved for holiday conflicts.
- January 17 – Yaron Isaac “Sparky” Kohen, Gentile to Jew: A Tale of Identity
- February 21 – Rabbi Barbara Aiello, Heritage Hiding in Plain Sight
- March 21 – No meeting. We encourage our members to register for and enjoy the presentations at RootsTech.
- April 26 – This is a Tuesday! Rabbi Samuel Spector of Congregation Kol Ami has agreed to meet with us there (2425 East Heritage Way, Salt Lake City) for a combination in-person (masked and vaccinated) and Zoom meeting. He will talk about the history of Kol Ami, the state of the Utah Jewish Community, and the significance of family history/traditions in Judaism.
- May 23 – Adam Cherson, Cultural Genography, Rabbinical Lineages Index, Levi-Cohen Tribal Tree, details below:
Title: Deep Genetic Genealogy: A Survey For Researchers of All Levels
Speaker: Guest Speaker: Adam Cherson, Author of “Historicity of the Tribe of Levi: A Genetic Perspective” (in print)
Part 1: Cultural Genography
Part 2: Rabbinical yDNA Lineages
Part 3: Levi-Cohen Tribal Tree
Part 4: Q & A
Description: In this first-ever presentation Adam will give an overview with illustrations of various unique approaches to genealogical research, including everything one needs to know to get started.
Monday May 23, 7pm Mountain/ 9pm Eastern/ 8pm Central/ 6pm Pacific/ 3am (May 24) UTC/GMT
- June 20
- July 18
- August 15
- September 19
- October 24
- November 21
- December 19
Our 2021 schedule included:
- January 18 – Janette Silverman, Lost in the Shoah: the Rescuing Power of Genealogy
- February 15 – Brian Schellenberg, Introduction to German Paleography
- March 15 – Kathy Kirkpatrick, The Hidden Jewish Heritage of a Catholic Italian-American Family
- April 19 – Jonathan Friedmann, Jewish Museum of the American West
- May 10 – Angie Bush, Endogamy and Your DNA Matches
- June 21 – Chuck Weinstein, The Three Great Myths of Jewish Genealogy
- July 19 – Schelly Talalay Dardashti and Maria Apodaca, Conversos and Crypto Jews
- August 16 – Erika Manternach, Conducting an Effective Oral History Interview
- September 13 – Paul Graham, Genealogical Source Citations
- December 20 – Todd Knowles, Virtual Tour of the Family History Library